Chemicals in our personal care products:
Did you know that anything you place on your skin, 65% of it is absorbed into your body? This includes most soap, shampoos, conditioners, deodorants, hair sprays, bubble bath, no-tear shampoos and lip balm; most creams and lotions promising eternal beauty all have ingredients in them that you would never think of putting on your skin!
Petroleum, a by-product of petro oil (crude oil!) was discovered by a chemist in 1859 and set out to heal America’s dry skin. By 1870 his petro by-product called “Wonder Jelly” was sold to the medical profession and public at the rate of 1 jar every minute! We know it today as Vaseline. He challenged other chemists to invent additional uses from this toxic by-product and they go by the names of:
- Mineral or Wax oil
- Petrolatum or any ingredient name with ‘petro’ in it
- Xylene or Toluene
Be Watchful! Petro has no place in the world of beauty! It dehydrates and suffocates the skin cells, making our skin old before its time. It has its place, but not on our face!
Formaldehyde and EDTA (a long and scary 31 letter word) are preservatives, highly toxic and harmful to the immune system and can cause allergic skin reaction. It’s in face and body lotions, body washes, conditioners, shampoos, nail polish and eye shadows; and formaldehyde is sprayed on new clothing to keep them crisp and wrinkle free
Fluoride is associated with tooth protection and strong bones and heroically promoted by the government thru our water system; also in tooth paste to “prevent tooth decay.” Fluorine is a trace mineral that sometimes gets confused with a by-product of aluminum, phosphate, cement, steel and nuclear waste called fluoride; a highly toxic chemical that distresses the thyroid and prevents calcium absorption. Because fluoride is not recognized as essential to human health, the FDA considers it a drug: the main ingredient in Prozac, the drug that keeps our rambunctiously normal boys and girls “obedient”
This is the thing… the liver’s job is to detox the blood, but the liver cannot metabolize toxic waste. So when the liver gets backed up with chemicals, the body uses a natural defense mechanism to keep us from death; the liver stores chemicals in our fat cells to prevent this toxic waste from freely roaming and damaging our organs! Are you making the mental leap? Might it be that toxic synthetic substances ingested through your skin is hindering your weight loss… not to mention your health?
Here’s what we can do… Replace chemical-ridden personal products with chemical-free products that help feed our skin and support our body’s detox system. Some ideas that I could think of: Plant based products made from essential oils, fruit extracts, green tea; aloe vera, olive and almond oils…
- Tea tree oil can treat acne and eczema. Also use to spray a diluted amount in the air to kill germs during cold and flu season
- Peppermint oil on your temples can relieve a headache or just cool you off on a hot summer day
- Eucalyptus safely launders musty towels instead of bleach
- Deodorant with essential oils, mineral rock and/or baking soda killing the bacteria causing odor before it forms
- Rosehip Seed oil, a wild plant grown in Chile, is high in fatty acids, vitamins A and C, necessary for beautiful skin
- Aloe vera helps heal sun burns and a skin moisturizer also
- Shea butter from the seed of the Shea tree is rich in essential fatty acids for collagen production and naturally rich in Vitamin A and E to reduce inflammation in the skin
- Coconut oil and argon oil for conditioning the hair
- Castile body soap and other body soaps made from coconut oil, olive oil and minerals; use as a shampoo also
- Baking soda exfoliates face, mouth and whitens teeth
- Vinegar cleans hair of gunk (also great for cleaning carpet)
- Wash all new clothing and towels and air-out dry clean only clothing to get rid of “new clothing” toxic chemicals
- Fluoride-free toothpaste, especially for growing children!
- Always check ingredient list for your protection against false advertising of eternal beauty!